Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Vintage art: customego New Mutants box art

Canonball


Magma

Dani Moonstar

Sunspot
Ilyana
I didn't customize again until after I finished Trust/Truth and wanted a creative break, my 2009 xmas break if you will. At that time, I remade the artwork and boxes for my Teen Titans customs and significantly improved the actual custom jobs of Green Lantern, Black Canary, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Speedy, and Wondergirl.

Several months later, I customized several New Mutants for a fan of mine. I'd never read the series until preparing for these customs. I loved the demon bear saga, and the art of Bill Sienkiewicz. I knew the custom of Ilyana would be most beloved, followed by my beloved Dani Moonstar. I followed up with Canonball (a natural choice, given he was the subject of my first Marvel gig), Sunspot, and Magma. 

While my drawing, coloring, and technical skills had improved significantly in the past decade, my customizing skills had most definitely deteriorated, so after over 200 customs, enough's enough.

I only have about 25 of them. Most have been sold off or given away... I wonder if anyone will ever have me sign a box or ask for a "certificate of authenticity." Ha. 

No comments: