Thursday, February 19, 2009

Last day in Lyon

Xavier and I were to depart the next morning for a day in Paris. To celebrate our departure, as well as the departure of his friends Patrick and Kelly, as well as the birthday of his friend Simon, Xavier organized a big lunch. The meal was great, and terribly pricey for Lyon. However, the old lady waitress was trying to hurry Kelly along, and at one point even told her to not talk so much. Ultimately, they told us they were closing, so we had to leave. So much for the stereotype of long leisurely meals! :) Later, Xavier was concerned that his cat Duncan was getting sick, and was preparing a Vicks Vapo-Rub treatment for him. Since I was also under the weather, he prepared a bowl for me as well. He put Duncan in a cage and covered it with a towel so he'd breath in the fumes. Then covered my head with a towel so I would breath the fumes. Afterward, we were talking comics—whenever we talked comics, Xavier would disappear for a minute and then haul out whatever comics we had just been talking about for me to look at. The topic had been "Justice Machine" from the 1980s, which I'd never read. You can see from my drawings, the characters had really awful, really gay costume designs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Justice Machine" was one of the all-time worst indie comics, but it was responsible for bringing back the THUNDER Agents for the first time since the 1960s and for introducing The Elementals. patrick

SCARCEXL said...

Worst? I can show you worst than that! :D I think it was really ok, despite some confusing reboots. How was it responsible for bringing back the Thunder agents, I didn't know that!

Anonymous said...

IIRC, in Justice Machine Annual #1 (and only), the THUNDER Agents were featured (fighting the JM, of course). That's the only reason I know much about Justice Machine; I was really into them, and there had been no appearances prior, since the demise of their series. In that same issue, the Elementals were introduced in a back-up story. patrick

Mark Ellis said...

Yeah the original Justice Machine costumes were pretty gay.

This version is much better.

http://www.transfuzion.biz/TITLES/JusticeMachine.htm