Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Welcome to Winston

After I left DC, I was on to the business portion of my trip: a week in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. 

I was warned by my friend Steve that the city had gone through a bit of a revitalization in the past decade, with an artsy cute, downtown with good restaurants.

Check, check, and check.

Not saying I'd like to live there, but indeed, it surpassed expectations.

Criticism time: it's not the type of place that you can buy a postcard of. Which I really love doing. Ok, mostly I like to RECEIVE postcards (and, I have every postcard ever sent to me since I was a teenager. I love cheesy "greetings from—" postcards best of all!) but in order to encourage the receipt of them, I send out many.

The conference I attended was hosted by Wake Forest University. At the campus bookshop, I found postcards of the university, but it seemed like they were printed on the shop's inkjet on barely cardstock. But that's the best I could find, so there we go.

I was in town for the whole business week, so got to sample a good variety of the place. And spent some quality time with people I've known for years, but see just once or twice a year. That's always fun, despite the perma-hang-over.

Definitely enjoyed my time in "Winston," as Michael referred to it.

No comments: