Monday, August 30, 2010

Teen Titans '10—sort of

Fish-philes know my penchant for late '60s-early '70s Teen Titans. So my foray into the Titans of today is very much a cautious toe-dipping into the pool.

The sketch session starts off with the non-modern version Betty Kane Bat-Girl flipping a would-be attacker, before I am inspired to draw the Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl.

Cassie wears a TIGHT red top with either an eagle or W, and originally jeans and later TIGHT red pants. At first I thought the idea of a super-hero wearing jeans was pretty silly. But drawing her, I warmed up to it. Here, I give her the loose top a la Donna Troy in the mid-'60s with stylized eagle, but showing the midriff. Then I imagined her sewing on the stars wrapping around her hip and leg. Kinda blending Donna's first look with her second in a retro-hippy chick version of Cassie. Now I like her.

I proceed to draw Cassie along with a more modern version of Robin (probably Tim Drake) and some version of Kid Flash (is Impulse now KF? Is that Bart Allen? I can't keep up), fighting the grow-one of the Sizematic Twins.

Admitting Wonder Girl, Robin, and Kid Flash aren't terribly "modern" I proceeded to draw Kid Devil and Rose Wilson astonished by the shrink-one of the Sizematic Twins. Perhaps he broke into the Titans' HQ. I did read about Rose on Wikipedia. I assume in my version, the serum granting her super strength and reflexes is out of her system, rendering her more along the lines of Lilith with ESP as contribution to the cause. I'm guessing with that serum out of her system, she'll have less if no psychotic episodes. Maybe the eye she gauged out will grow back. Dunno.

3 comments:

Aman Chaudhary said...

I like your Betty Kane Bat-girl. But isn't she Flamebird now?

Tim Fish said...

yes...it was a transitional sketch. she was retconned to be Bette Kane, never Bat-Girl but Flamebird. In the '80s Robin became Nightwing, and Bat-Girl retconned as Flamebird. I guess as an inside joke/homage to the '60s Kandorian bottled city heroes Nightwing and Flamebird. So I am assuming in the back of my head that the Dick Grayson and Bette Kane versions of Nightwing and Flamebird will be a crime-fighting and/or life-partner duo some day. Wow, I can geek out over classic Titans.

America Woke said...

Man, I sure wish the Fish were working the 'New' 52! These are incredible, Tim!