Wednesday, February 6, 2008

pas d'Anglais

Antoine could not attend the BD Festival (comics) in Angoulême, so I trekked into the French countryside solo. The day began very early, as I made my way from La Défense to Montparnasse to catch my train out of town. I had been waking up around 9 AM the first few days of my trip, so I was surprised to see the sun not rise until on about 8:30 AM. The train was very crowded, and everyone was headed for the same place to look at the beautiful, artsy comics. My original host spoke no English, and lived far from the festival. It was a bit awkward, but I was trying my best to communicate. While at the festival, I ran into Xavier from Scarce magazine, who ultimately convinced me to stay with his host, which worked out much better. She was super-cool, and while she also spoke little English, Xavier was able to translate, and made excellent company. Maybe I should note that the small city the festival takes place in has very few hotels, therefore, most people need to stay with local hosts who rent out rooms in their homes.

No comments: